This rasam is very simple and easy to prepare and a good recipe for the starters. We do not use any powder as such for this dish – the aromatic seasoning of fresh curry leaves, garnishing with fresh cilantro and using quality Toor dal for the dish will enhance the flavour and satisfy the palate. Here it is. Do give it a try !!!!
What you need to have:
1. Toor Dal – 1/2 Cup (cooked and mashed well)
2. Tomato – 1 Ripe
3. Ginger crushed – 1/2 ” piece
4. Green chillies – 2-3
5. Curry leaves – 2-3 Strands
6. Coriander leaves – A handful
7. Lemon juice – 1 Tablespoon
8. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Ginger-Lemon Rasam
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak dal in water for about 15 minutes and cook it as usual in the cooker till soft and is as shown in the image below.
Dal finely cooked
2. Wash and chop tomato into bite size pieces. Place a broad based bowl on medium flame and allow it to cook till soft in around 2 cups of water. Add slit green chillies to it as well.
Chopped tomatoes being cooked in water
3. When done add cooked dal from step-2 to it and stir well adding required quantity of salt to it. Now add chopped ginger as well to it and bring it to boil. By now tomatoes will have cooked and mashed well into it. One can crush it with the dal beater too. Squeeze lemon juice as well to it. Add chopped coriander leaves to it.
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Red chilli pieces – 3-4
3. Cumin seeds -1/2 Teaspoon
4. Curry leaves – 2-3 strands
4. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of either cooking oil or pure ghee into it on medium flame. When heated toss in mustard seeds, cumin, together. When it splutters add broken red chilli pieces and curry leaves to it. Switch off the flame and use it to season the dal tomato mix.
Seasoning in progress
Ready to serve Ginger-Lemon Rasam
How long it takes : 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4
Good to remember:
1. Use quality toor dal to enhance the flavour of rasam.
2. Always use ripe pulpy and fresh tomatoes .
3. Do not burn the seasoning, as it will stink rather than giving a nice aroma.
4. One can use pure ghee for seasoning depending upon one’s palate